Hollywood Movies to Watch: As the year comes to a close, everyone in the Northern Hemisphere begins to feel the abrupt transition into winter; it’s the best time of year to spend indoors, snuggled up, and watching various seasonally suitable films. Throughout the Christmas season, there are a lot of wonderful winter films to watch, including seasonal classics like ‘Home Alone’ and ‘Knives Out’, as well as films with a beautiful and cosy aesthetic like ‘Little Women’.
Whatever your thoughts about the holidays, it’s impossible not to romanticise winter, with its cosy sweaters and dramatic snowstorms. If, like me, you loathe navigating snow in real life, seeing snowscapes onscreen is the perfect solution. There are several films set during the coldest season that must be seen. Here are seven of our favourite winter films to get you in the mood for the upcoming colder months.
Here are Top 5 all time favourite Hollywood movies For the Christmas Season:
1. Home Alone
- Genre: Kids & Family, Holiday, Comedy
- Running Time: 1h 42m
- Star Cast: Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern, John Heard, Roberts Blossom, and Catherine O’Hara
- Release Date: November 16, 1990
- Where to watch: Disney+Hotstar
- IMDb Rating: 7.7/10
Home Alone is one of those perfect Christmas films for the whole family. Every few of years, it has a quirky appeal that makes it a delight to see. The story focuses around a little youngster who is forced to defend himself and his home against two burglars when his family abandons him over the Christmas vacation.
2. Little Women
- Genre: Drama
- Running Time: 2h 15m
- Star Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlen, Laura Dern, Timothée Chalamet, Meryl Streep, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, James Norton, Louis Garrel, and Chris Cooper
- Release Date: December 25, 2019
- Where to watch: Netflix
- IMDb Rating: 7.9/10
The only film that completely fulfils the “cosy” criteria is Little Women. Greta Gerwig’s critically praised film depicts the lives of four sisters growing up in nineteenth-century America after the Civil War. Each character in this film is appealing and realistic, and the dynamics of their family are entertaining to watch.
3. Happy Feet
- Genre: Kids & Family, Adventure, Musical, Comedy, Animation
- Running Time: 1h 48m
- Star Cast: Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, Brittany Murphy, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Hugo Weaving, Anthony LaPaglia, Magda Szubanski, and Steve Irwin
- Release Date: November 17, 2006
- Where to watch: Available for rent on YouTube
- IMDb Rating: 6.4/10
‘Happy Feet’ is one of those pleasantly surprising children’s flicks, following a young penguin (Elijah Wood) who is born with the inability to sing in a culture that focuses around finding a soul mate via music. Despite being primarily aimed at children, the video is entertaining and contains some unexpectedly significant themes.
4. Knives Out
- Genre: Mystery & thriller, Comedy, Drama
- Running Time: 2h 10m
- Star Cast: Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, LaKeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell, and Christopher Plummer
- Release Date: November 27, 2019
- Where to watch: Apple TV
- IMDb Rating: 7.9/10
On the surface, ‘Knives Out’ may not appear to be a “comfort” or “cosy” film. However, if you’re engrossed in the mystery, setting, and characters, it rapidly changes into a true family drama. The story focuses on a detective (Daniel Craig) who is looking into the mysterious death of a prominent author named Harlan Thormbley (Christopher Plummer). Marta (Ana de Armas) must work with Thrombley’s nurse and best friend to figure out which dysfunctional family member committed the crime.
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Genre: romance, sci-fi
- Running Time: 1h 48m
- Star Cast: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson
- Release Date: March 19, 2004
- Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video
- IMDb Rating: 8.3/10
‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’s’ narrative of Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) is one of the finest romantic storylines ever recorded. Following a devastating breakup, Joel accidentally gets therapy to erase Clementine’s memories; nevertheless, as his memories fade, Joel recognises his blunder and longs to retain these valuable moments.
While the tale is set around Valentine’s Day, it is still a gorgeous winter picture with some really emotional and powerful messages. The video emphasises the value of memories and their deep human relationships, and it focuses on how it is desirable to save the positive memories, even if some unpleasant ones emerge along the road.