Rafale deal: Rahul Gandhi and the Congress have accused PM Modi of corruption over the Rafale deal.
Congress president Rahul Gandhi attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the Rafale fighter jet deal a day after repeating his allegation of corruption in the 36-jet deal. "Dear Students & the Youth of India: Everyday there are new revelations about RAFALE that make it clear that the PM helped his friend Anil Ambani, steal 30,000 Cr of your money," Mr Gandhi tweeted shortly before his press conference.Yesterday, Rahul Gandhi met Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu who was on a day-long fast in the capital to express his solidarity with Mr Naidu over his demand for special status for Andhra Pradesh "The Prime Minister became prime minister saying he will fight corruption. Have you read today's Hindu? It is very clear in today's (Monday's) Hindu article that the PM removed the anti-corruption clause. Every defence deal has an anti-corruption clause," he said said Rahul Gandhi, once again prompting the gathering at Mr Naidu's protest at Andhra Bhawan to say, "Chowkidar chor hai". The Congress alleges that the government finalised an overpriced deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets at an inflated price to benefit Anil Ambani, whose inexperienced defence firm was recommended as an offset partner for Dassault, the company manufacturing the aircraft. Both Dassault and the government have denied the allegations.
Disclaimer: NDTV has been sued for 10,000 crores by Anil Ambani's Reliance Group for its coverage of the Rafale deal
Here are the highlights of Rahul Gandhi's media address on Rafale controversy:
- Anil Ambani, who met the French defence minister, mentioned an MoU he is looking forward to sign after the Indian prime minister's visit to France.
- Mr Ambani says he is first looking to make commercial helicopters.
- This is a breach of the official secrets act… the PM is the only other person who knows about this… in fact Anil Ambani opened his company after this meeting.
- The Prime Minister is acting as Anil Ambani's middleman.
- All this is stated in an e-mail written by an Airbus employee.
- This is a very serious issue… the Prime Minister now absolutely must reply on this. What is going on?
- The Defence Ministry does not know, the Defence Minister does not know. Only the Prime Minister knows… and then you see, Anil Ambani knows.
- This is no longer just a matter of corruption, it is a matter of the official secrets act, and therefore a national security issue… the Prime Minister has done what spies do. He has divulged issues of national security to someone else.
- The Supreme Court judgment now becomes questionable.
- India's biggest defence plan, something that even the Defence Minister doesn't know, nor does the foreign secretary, but Anil Ambani knows… and the only other person who knows is the Prime Minister.
- National security has been compromised. An MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) is known to a businessman before it is drafted before anybody else. Like I said, PM has done something that spies do.
- These 3 things – corruption, procedure, and national security – these just have to be investigated. No one will be spared in this.